In 1866, The Bible was the catalyst for a most remarkable physical healing experienced by Mary Baker Eddy, the Discoverer and Founder of Christian Science. Her immediate recovery from a life-threatening fall came as the result of reading about a healing facilitated by Jesus, and Mrs. Eddy devoted the next three years to writing an explanatory text of her discovery in order to return the lost, vibrant healing methods of Christ Jesus to our modern world.
“That short experience included a glimpse of the great fact that I have since tried to make plain to others, namely, Life in and of Spirit; this Life being the sole reality of existence.”
Mary Baker Eddy, Miscellaneous Writings
Christian Scientists believe that God is Love, the only reality. God’s love is always present and unconditional, and an understanding of this can heal any situation. All of us can learn to demonstrate our spiritual reality as a perfect and cared-for child of God, and you will find that gratitude for these demonstrations through Christian Science are the central part of further healing.
Christian Scientists can also call on the support of trained practitioners who have dedicated themselves to full-time healing, praying alongside and guiding a person who is seeking help with a need or a challenge.
The following Q and A is taken from page 497 of Mrs Eddy’s book, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures:
Question: Have Christian Scientists any religious creed?
Answer: They have not, if by that term is meant doctrinal beliefs. The following is a brief exposition of the important points, or religious tenets, of Christian Science: —
- As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
- We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God’s image and likeness.
- We acknowledge God’s forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
- We acknowledge Jesus’ atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man’s unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
- We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
- And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.
The establishment of the First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston Massachusetts, as well as the founding of the Christian Science Monitor newspaper, are just two results of her continued prayer and dedication. Both institutions continue to serve and heal the world, and you can find out more about them, Christian Science and Mary Baker Eddy by visiting christianscience.com.
BE HELD ON
THE 10th & 17th.
3rd SERVICE IS
DUE TO THE